Saturday, May 24, 2014

Turning Ten

 
May is a month of huge significance in our house.  Mark and I were married in May.  The girls were born in May.  The two biggest and best events in my life--time to celebrate!  It is amazing to recall where we were ten years ago this month.

This is the third year in a row that we have thrown a simple but large invite-the-whole-class party at our house.  The girls basically wanted the same party as last year, with a jungle theme.  After my initial surprise, I went to work, planning decorations and games.  Here is our snack table:
 
Beetle wings (chips), piranha bites (goldfish), toasted grubs (veggie sticks), alligator eggs (Reeses puffs), anaconda eyes (grapes), monkey bites (donuts), jungle vines (um...do they have another name?  green licorice?), dried ants (raisins), toucan toes (gummy chicken feet--yes, there is such a thing!), and the coup de grace--python pellets (Sugar Babies).  We also loaded up the ice chest and made a sign designating it as "The Watering Hole". 
 
The girls asked for the same cake as last year.  My mom, the cake master, upped the ante and created this masterpiece!
 
We had twenty four kids in the house!  One lesson from last year was that I wanted to limit the "running around like a hoard of crazy weasels" time.  I mean...how many crazy weasels do you want on a trampoline at one time???  No more than eight, right?  So we broke the kids up into groups, and did games.  No opting out!
We did the towel toss.
  
 Beanbag toss--I taped a monkey face around the hole and called it "Feed the Monkey".
 We had a scavenger hunt--these kids are looking through our trash.  Kidding!  They are reading a message under the lid!
 And of course, seed spitting.  We gave prizes for each set of winners. 
 Then we had cake.  I'm happier than I look here.
  And then...the monster slip-and-slide!
We had a 6-mil sheet of plastic and a hose.  What more do you need?
Right...maybe some baby shampoo to add some more "slip".
 
And a huge running start!
 
The kids show up the next day all bruised and scratched, because after all, it IS just a regular hillside that they are throwing themselves down.  But they do seem to enjoy it!

So I'm noticing that I actually have NO PICTURES of MY OWN KIDS on their birthday.  You'll have to take my word for it.  They were happy!

1 comment: