Wednesday, December 18, 2013

No Calories, Just Love


The Christmas season brings us many enjoyments, including tasty indulgences.  In my case, they are treats made by other people, mostly because I'm starting my Christmas shopping right about now, with one week left before the big day.  But this year is different.  This year, my Mom and I took a trip to Albuquerque, to participate in a cook-fest with our cousins.
 

Here is the master chef, Claire, showing how to butter a Kringle.  After the butter comes the sugar, cinnamon, and nuts.


The Kringle is rolled and baked, then drizzled with a glaze.  The key phrase of the day was "No calories, just love".  Okay, maybe plenty of both!


My Mom and I, after I finished rolling my first Kringle.  Obviously a real milestone for me!




Here you see the scope of the project unfolding.  After the Kringles, came the Reeses truffle balls, nut clusters, kolache of various shapes and flavors, caramel corn, and nut brittles (peanut, cashew, and pine nut).  By the way, the host and owner of this magnificent kitchen is Carol, standing in the red shirt, green apron.


  Claire with daughter and sous-chef Cheryl.


Mom and Claire, dipping truffle #1456 and 1457.

What a day.  I'm not sure I've had one quite like it.  A celebration of holiday, family, friendship, womanhood, connection, and life.  Can a day of cooking really do that for you?  Yes, it sure can.

2 comments: