Friday, May 11, 2012

Eight Years Old!

Yes, eight years ago, on May 6th, our lives completely and utterly changed. The landscape completely shifted. Day became night, and night became day, and there was no sleep to be found in either of them.

If I'm sounding a little "epic", mayhaps it's because this was a shift of BIBLICAL PROPORTIONS.

Yeah. I mean really, REALLY big.

So, in memory of this event, we held our annual celebration. The girls love to plan their own party. They plan it in, to me, excruciating detail. This year, as with the past two birthdays, the girls wanted to have a party here, at home. But this time, they wanted to invite the entire class.

Now, I don't know if you remember this, but last year's party was not very fun for me. It was fun for the kids, I think. But that's only because they don't know how close they were to having someone go psycho and completely snap at their party.

So it was with trepidation that I said: "Okay, we can invite the class, but it has to be a VERY SIMPLE PARTY."  Abigail and Mae seemed fine with that, so the invites went out. By "invites", I mean a sheet of paper that the girls wrote up, copied off on my inkjet printer, and passed out at class.

A classic Schlaefer move, I must say.

Response was pretty good...from the girls. For whatever reason, the girls all accepted, and the boys at best gave lukewarm "maybes". They could see the writing on the wall, I guess. 

And they were right.  It was three hours of shrill squeals, screams, and squacks, plus a lot of giggles. Fortunately no drama or tears, or even bee stings! Here's how it went:

First we hung out and played as everyone trickled in. That took about 45 minutes. Then, we all went to the tree house. The girls went up for a photo op and goody bag. 


We had 10 girls actually make it to the party, plus our two, for an even dozen (not all shown here).
 

The girls came down from the treehouse for the pinata.  That ended up being a lot of fun!


Then we went back to the house for games.  This year, I put Mark, the master game-player, in charge of games.  He came up with some great ones!  Here is the watermelon seed spitting contest.  Mark is coaching.  


We also played ball toss, where partners flick a tennis ball by trampolining it out of a towel, and "thread the needle", where a chain of kids passed a hula hoop without releasing each others hands. Old school at its finest!

Next, it was time for cake.  My mom saved my sanity--and quite possibly Mark's life-- by making these cakes.  Here is Mae's custom cake, decorated with her beloved rainbow unicorn theme (remember Halloween???)


And Abigail's custom mer-people.  My dad even helped with the mer-man (my mom was a little uncomfortable free-handing the design ;-) )


Next, it was time for the singing!


Candles were blown out.


And then it was time for the "slip and slide".


Here's Mae--airborne!


Yes, I do think the kids enjoyed the party.

And this year, so did I!  I guess it does take a village.  Even for a VERY SIMPLE party.

Thank you, family!

1 comment:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIRLS! My life changed forever on this day too! Looks like a great party!

    ReplyDelete