Wednesday, August 17, 2011

To Hell and Back

One of the "fun" things we did in Albuquerque was ride the passenger tram up to Sandia Peak. The tram is the longest of its kind in the world. The car travels 4,000 vertical feet across 2.7 miles in about 15 minutes. At one point, the car is almost 1,000 feet above the ground.

And I took my babies on it.

I think that was the source of the problem. Because there was a problem. I had ridden the tram years ago, and although it was a little freaky, I had no difficulty. But I'll admit going in this time, I was anxious. I tried to distract myself by taking pictures. See how everyone is having fun?




Not sure if I mentioned before, but my niece Megan was along on the trip.

I even took pictures of Mark and I. We even look like we're having fun, don't we?


Mark was, but I was not. I was thinking about what would happen if the cable failed. I was thinking that I wasn't getting enough air. I was thinking I might faint. Or vomit. Then I was pretty sure I was going to vomit, and started to think about where I was going to do it. My purse? No, too many important things could get ruined. I decided on Mark's hat. I readied myself to snatch it off his head.

Fortunately it didn't come to that, but not by much.

When we got to the top, I debated whether to tell Mark about my inner turmoil. Should I just try to tough it out and NOT tell him? But what about the trip down? How was I possibly going to face that? In the end, I did tell him. I told him I needed to see if they had any Tums available up there. Turns out, Megan was carrying her backpack in which she had a horde of Tums. I briefly pondered what kind of 14-year-old carries a bunch of Tums around, and then I downed six. Then we walked around and enjoyed the views.






During this time, I was considering whether I should ride the tram back down, or have Mark drive around the back side of the peak (an hour & 15 minutes) to pick me up. I decided to try my luck on the tram. Armed with a large Styrofoam cup (provided by the employee at the station, who said this happens all the time), I boarded the tram with my family. This time, I stood right next to the front window, focused on the fresh air coming in through it, and the interior of the car.

And we made it down just fine.

2 comments:

  1. I would have been right there with you on this one. Actually, I may have just watched everyone else go up on the tram. Way to go, conquering your fears!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the family photos....ps Mark should wear Green more often....looks good on him.

    ReplyDelete