Saturday, August 20, 2011

New year, new school

Although I've been trying desperately to catch up from all our summer activities, I've been overcome by events. Specifically, school started this past Wednesday. Here are the girls, ready to go. Mae is wearing the SAME DRESS she has worn on the first day for THREE YEARS!


Last year:

TWO years ago!


I don't think it will make it next year...it was a little tight :-)

The start of the school year has been particularly bittersweet this year. I always feel sad parting from the girls after time together...I get the blues each Monday during the school year, and especially on the first day of school. This year, I had the added sadness of driving by Sierra Elementary to the new Foothill Elementary, about 13 minutes further.

You may recall that our district had to close its two elementary schools and consolidate to a k-6 at the former middle school, and 7-12 at the high school. The new elementary school is 630 kids, while our old K-3 was about 150. With so many changes, we knew to expect chaos on that first day, and were not disappointed. Check out the nervous excitement on the girls' faces:


Amidst all the hovering parents, the girls finally found their line, which finally meandered off to the classroom.


I'm grateful they are together this year, and am anxious to get involved. Maybe I will grow to love this new school too. I will try my best to keep an open mind.

2 comments:

  1. GOOD LUCK IN YOUR NEW SCHOOL GIRLS!! Sam says, "Hi" too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love the boots with the dress!! What a fashionista. Have a great school year girls. Thank you for sharing your summer with us.

    ReplyDelete