Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Big A*% Trees

Usually I do a decent job of filtering what I think before I write it down for all the world to see. Because to be honest, some of the monologue in my head is more like a sailor than a room-mother. This is no surprise to those who know me well.

BUT once in a while, my filter is overwhelmed, and I have to say something like "Wow, that is one big-ass tree". This is just such an occasion.


See what I mean? C'mon, you're thinking it too, aren't you?

Over 4th of July weekend, my family, Gail's family, and my cousin Donald went up to Dinkey Creek and camped, just for one night. We had hoped to see fireworks at Shaver Lake, but our plan to approach the lake on the non-crowded side didn't pan out. Instead, we ended up just hanging out in the forest, exploring the creek, and taking a dunk in the icy stream. More about that later. We also ventured down to McKinley Grove, home to about 230 giant sequoias. The largest of these was over 20 feet in diameter, and some are estimated at about 2,000 years old.

I learned a few interesting factoids: the root system of the giant sequoia is very shallow and wide, generally no more than 5 feet below the surface


The bark of these trees is full of tannins, and is very resistant to fire, so fires actually help the trees by killing off the competition. The tannins also preserve the wood long after the tree dies. Interesting, eh?


Once again, I'm amazed that we live practically next-door to all this amazing stuff.

1 comment:

  1. LOOKS LIKE FUN...HOW COME MARK WASN'T CAUGHT IN A PICTURE TRYING TO CLIMB ONE!?

    ReplyDelete