Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Wholesome Addiction

Remember Charles?

Caroline?

Mary?

Laura?

Baby Carrie?

Mr Edwards?

And that HORRIBLE Nellie Oleson?

My sister has loaned us seasons one through six of Little House on the Prairie on DVD. We are through most of season two. And we are addicted.

Just about every night, we pack on the couch, and watch their lives play out on our high-tech flat screen TV. They labor, celebrate, grieve, befriend, tease, cavort, and in general mess with the whole spectrum of our emotions. Their lives generate some really great discussions with the girls. Jealousy. Sibling rivalry. Religious differences. Death. Love. Bullying. Deception. Loneliness. I must say, I don't remember Little House being THIS intense! There have been a few episodes that we've had to skip or fast forward, like the time Mr. Edwards gets mauled by the grizzly in front of his newly adopted son, or the story of the young boy suffering at the hands of his abusive alcoholic father, or the time Ma is alone and crazy with fever from an infection on her leg and prepares to amputate it herself. The girls have gotten pretty good at letting me know (by covering their eyes and screaming) when they've had enough.

OK, that's only happened a couple of times. MOST of the episodes are not only entertaining, but instructive as well. The girls identify strongly with Laura, and yes...I'm believing more and more that Mark and I bear a strong resemblance to Charles and Caroline. Maybe we'll even carve MS + CS in our fireplace mantle!

At this rate, we may never get DishNet! And that is OK with me.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE LITTLE HOUSE! I USED TO RUSH HOME EVERY DAY AFTER SCHOOL TO WATCH AND TO THIS DAY I CAN SEE THE FIRST 30 SECONDS AND KNOW WHICH EPISODE IT WILL BE! I OWN SEASONS 1-3! ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Little House. I think I read all of the books before it became a t.v. show. I always thought living in that ere was the best...life was so simpler then. But then I think about Pa pulling that plow through acres of land, using the outhouse, freezing your butt off in the winter...and I had second thoughts. I am glad that the girls (and the adults) are enjoying this so much.

    ReplyDelete