Thursday, February 3, 2011

The way they think

Just an observation, today, about the different things the girls say.

Mae is still very much into role-playing, always as an animal. She'll often rope Abigail in, trying to direct what animal she will be, and what she will say. Abigail will play along about half the time. The other half she will insist on choosing her own character and putting her own story together. After all these details are worked out, the game begins with this announcement: "Ready, set, PLAY!"

You may remember many months ago, when I described one of Mae's intro's into her "game". At the time, she enjoyed being a kitten. I actually went back and found that post, and was surprised to see her description:
“I’m a one-year-old crazy kitten named Belle who likes to swim, and is very well trained, and she’s very shy because you just got her, and she just came out of her mommy.”
I was intrigued because there were so many similarities to her current line, a year and a half later:
"I'm an all brown puppy named Chedder, and I was just born but I'm not all slimy. I'm very shy until you get to know me."
Well, at least she's consistent! Mark continues to scratch his head and wonder if this is normal. I assure him it is, and that at one point, I wanted to be a horse when I grew up.

That IS normal, isn't it?

In other news, both the girls have an interesting new mannerism. They'll pose a question, and if I say "I don't know", they'll press me: "But what do you THINK?" And they'll insist on an answer or a "prediction".

Clearly, they've learned this in school, presumably because "I don't know" is an easy answer for first graders, and they need to be pressed to take a risk. My observation is that it's a lot harder for many adults to say "I don't know", even when they should.

One of life's little ironies!

1 comment:

  1. I WAS ALWAYS A DOG AND MY DAD WOULD PLAY ALONG. I ALSO HAD AN IMAGINARY FRIEND (CHARLIE) THAT LIVED IN THE CHINA CABINET IN THE DINING ROOM!

    ReplyDelete