Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Prize

While visiting Mark's brother John & family over in Morgan Hill, Mark took the girls for a walk in the neighborhood. I LOVE this area, right next to Lake Anderson, teeming with not-so-wild wildlife--deer, turkey, etc. Upon returning from the walk, Mark and the girls proudly presented their find:



The little blob they're pointing to is "the find". A chunk of vomit. Owl vomit.

OK, maybe it doesn't technically qualify as vomit...it is called an owl pellet, which contains the remnants of the owl's dinner that he expels from his mouth.

To me, that is vomit. Which means that I don't want to pick it up and bring it home.

Or play with it and pick it apart. But Mark does.


There were all kinds of little bones in there, so we tried to speculate what bone went where, and what the animal was. I reminded the girls that this is what paleantologists do (they come up with that once in a while when asked what they want to do when they grow up).

I went online and did a little research:

How to Dissect Owl Pellets | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4444060_dissect-owl-pellets.html#ixzz1CGWTDeyD

Pay close attention to Step #1:
Don latex gloves, and a dust mask. Ideally, you should have obtained your pellets from a reputable dealer, who will ensure that these pellets can't transmit rodent-borne hantavirus.

I'm pretty sure neither Mark nor my tender babies had gloves or mask. I think Abigail is safe because she really wanted nothing to do with it. Mae...less safe...pretty sure she touched it, but I'm sure she washed her hands. She probably even used soap. For at least a few seconds before drying said hands on someone's face cloth.

While the contents of the "pellet" were actually kind of interesting, my summary of the experience is this:


No bones about it.

1 comment:

  1. I THINK YOU SHOULD DO A POST ON THE WONDERFUL MEMORIES YOU HAVE OF WHEN YOU AND I HAD TO CLEAN POOP FROM THE CAT'S BUTT!!!

    ReplyDelete