Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Out on the back 40

Big news out on the back 40 is that Flash, our favorite heifer, had her first baby!


No name yet, but the BEST news is...it's a little heifer too! That's good, because that means my folks will keep her, instead of sending her down the hill to auction.

While we were out on the back 40, we stopped at the rope swing:


The girls twisted it many, many, MANY times. Mae was riding. Abigail didn't want to because last time she did (not with me), she said she got scared and cried.

But did alarm bells go off in my head? No! EVEN THOUGH Abigail is not usually a crier.

So finally the big release occurs. And that thing starts spinning. Mae was leaning back, looking up at the sky.

And it wasn't long before she started to cry. And scream. Not regular screaming. Scary screaming.

So I look at that steel cable whizzing around, and in the second before I stuck my hand in to stop it, I thought I might lose my fingers. And then I grabbed the cable.

It did hurt, but it didn't even break the skin. I stopped the swing, and rescued my poor child who felt like her head was going to explode.

So, while it LOOKS like fun to twist the swing a hundred times...BEWARE!

Lesson learned.

1 comment:

  1. YOU NEED TO WRITE A BOOK OF LESSONS YOU LEARN! I'LL BUY IT!

    ReplyDelete