Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Dear Santa

I asked the girls to write a wish list for Christmas. As is usually the case when I give them an open-ended sort of task, I was surprised by the results.

They didn't really look like lists. No, Sir!

They looked more like mosaics.

Here's Abigail's list:



I know it's hard to read...some print from the back shows through. I wish I had splurged on a FRESH piece of paper, but NOO-oooo. Next time. But could next time possibly be as special?

Here is the translation:
  • I would like a puppy that follows you everywhere I go (note: this is apparently a robotic dog)
  • I would like a doll house with and when you ring the doorbell the eyes open up and say “Come in”
  • I would like glow in the dark scorpions
  • I would like my very own cook book
  • I would like a clock
  • I would like some seeds
  • I would like some dolls
  • I would like my own dishes
  • I would like my very own kit with band-aids in it
  • I would like my own shopping basket
  • I would like a toy fish bowl
  • I would like my own radio
  • I would like some finger puppets
  • I would like my own laminator
  • I would like my own toy BB gun
  • I would like some stamps
  • I would like my own place mat
  • I would like my own TV Set
  • I would like my own Vacuum Cleaner

OK, now here is Mae's:



And the translation:
  • I would like the little puppy dog that follows you wherever you go
  • I would like my own shopping basket
  • I would like Hello Pony that has a diaper
  • I would like my own Rodeo play set
  • I would like my own Jenga block set
  • I would like my own cook book
  • I would like doll house that when you ring the door bell the eyes open up and say “Hello, come in”
  • I would like my own place mat
  • I would like my own picture frame
  • I would like my own candle
  • I would like my own pack of flower seeds
  • I would like a pirate ship and a bag of pirates beside it and make them loose
  • I would like a necklace with a clover
  • I would like my own pack of erasers
  • I would like my own movie: Lady and the Tramp 2 (but she meant 3)
  • I would like my own rocking horse

Clearly there was some cross-talk going on. Abigail was definitely the leader, tackling list-making with gusto. Mae was a little more free-form, happy to ride on Abigail's coat tails and ideas, although she threw in some of her own uniqueness (think pirates and rodeos).

I was struck both by the simplicity and creativity of their desires. Certainly there was some commercial influence--the dollhouse and toy dog seem to be something very specific, so I"m sure they've seen an ad.

But so many of the others...a placemat, a pack of seeds, my own kit with band-aids. I was touched by the simple nature of these things. Are they really representative of what these kids crave?

And then there is the puzzling presence of a few larger items: a laminator, a vacuum cleaner, my own dishes...do these really excite my little girl? Does she see them as grown-up trappings and want to speed things along by getting them now?

Here's my wish list:

Please, Santa, keep my precious babies young for just a while longer!

3 comments:

  1. Very creative and interesting. What stands out for me is that they both use "my very own" quite a bit. I hope we all have our wishes come true this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about Mark? Santa probably wants him to make a list too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Corrie, I noticed that too! They DO share so many things, I can see how that would become more important as they mature. I hope they will continue to share clothes for the foreseeable future, though!

    ReplyDelete