Thursday, September 30, 2010

This is HARD!

Since this past January, I've been attending meetings of our school board. It is a small district, and it is in deep financial straits. I wanted to figure out what was going on, especially since I knew a school bond was going to be proposed on the ballot this November. Since I am generally a "No" on anything that means more taxes, I had to be pretty convinced to swing to "Yes", and potentially advocate that OTHERS also pay more taxes.

Well, I did get convinced.

I drank the Kool-Aid.

And now I call strangers and try to convince them too.

Yeah, I'm part of a phone bank that cold calls voters to check and see how things are going with the bond. Since I am NOT a phone person, this is just short of burning my own flesh, or pulling out my own teeth. Except it lasts for hours.

So I ditch my family several nights a week to spend it on the phone calling people during their dinner time.

Does that sound crazy to you?

Yeah, me too.

Fortunately Mark (who has historically been even MORE opposed to new taxes) is supportive, and even tells me he will vote "yes".

Obviously he takes that "for better or worse" stuff pretty seriously!

Maybe I'll make him some extra special Hamburger Helper tonight. ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Well, Hamburger Helper is at least a PLAN, which is more than I have been leaving him with, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete