Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Party of the Century

I can call this "The Party of the Century" because it is our FIRST party for the girls. And although I made every mistake in the book getting ready for it, the event itself was fun (I think) for all.

We had a small group, six kids, because the girls wanted to do a hot tub & swimming party, and that was the max I wanted to handle for that type of party. The pool is still pretty cold, but we had a series of sunny days that week, and it made things a little more bearable. I think the water got up to 70 degrees. And heck, we swam in the ocean as kids when the water was colder than that, with no hot tub to warm up in. And we liked it!

In keeping with the pool theme, I found a cake design that seemed manageable. I chickened out at the last minute and asked my mom to make it. She was game.


The cake had a swimming pool made of Knox blox, with teddy graham swimmers. My mom, in a stroke of evil genius, added gummy sharks to ominously menace the hapless teddies in their gummy life preservers. Nice work, Mom!


The girls enjoyed the cake, sharks and all.


For the party, they insisted on wearing their favorite dress up dresses. Grandma Fran had gotten these at a yard sale for the girls to play in, but they ended up wearing them to church at Easter! They did look festive. Note the shark in the pool in the background? Now it's all becoming clear...


The party consisted of game time, cake and presents, then pool time. The kids loved the hunt for candies in the yard.



The rest of the games were kind of a flop, however. It seemed as though the games were too high pressure for the kids. Maybe it was the drill sergeant leading them. I tend to have that effect on kids. My own kids are, of course, immune to my pressures.

Of course, the other factor might have been that the kids were anxious to get in the water. What could be more fun than kid soup?


Now that I have one party under my belt, I'm actually looking forward to hosting more. In a year or so.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THE CAKE! GOOD JOB MOMMY...I'LL BE CALLING IN A COUPLE YEARS FOR ADVICE ON PARTIES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like lots of fun. The cake looked awesome too!! I bet everyone had a fantastic time.

    ReplyDelete