Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Caution: Wild Flowers

This is one of my absolute favorite pictures of the girls, taken in the summer of '08.



Now that I finally caught up with my stories about birthdays and Mother's Day and rodeos, I'll share a little adventure that we had a couple of weeks ago. A friend of mine mentioned that she had gathered flowers from her 5 acres, pressed them, and sent them to her mother in Scotland. She said she must have found 15 different types. I thought "What a great idea--The girls will enjoy that!" So the next weekend, we took some baskets, and went out scouring the 50 acres. What a blast!
My nephew Scotty came with us, and seemed to thoroughly enjoy the hunt as well.


I brought my camera, intending to capture each of the different flowers, but had distinctly limited success with my point and shoot. Here are a few of the highlights.





Most of these I do not recognize, but my intent is to make a little compilation for myself of pinks, purples, yellows, etc. and identify them one by one using my handy-dandy wildflower book (thanks, Nick and Judy!).



We found 31 different types of flowers!



Some of them did not journey well back to the house, but I did get to press quite a few for future reference.


I'm hoping to get back out and try again before the end of the season. Which is coming shortly...the hills are already fading from green to golden.


And my baby wildflowers are about to graduate from kindergarten.

Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. Love this, it sounds like so much fun!! I miss the poppies. We have lots of flowers here but many of them have no scent. Congratulations on the soon-to-be first graders.

    ReplyDelete