Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Hang it all out there

It is that time of year. The days are getting warmer--we had a burst of mid-70s last weekend (car-ni-vahl weekend), so on Sunday, I hung out my first laundry of the season.

Hanging laundry is still fun for me. I love it on many levels. Of course I feel good that I'm using the free energy from the sun to do my work. I love how the laundry smells fresh after drying on the line. It dries a bit stiff, so a line-dried t-shirt feels distinctly different than one dried in a clothes dryer. My favorite line-dried product is a bath towel. Nothing says "clean" like a slightly abrasive towel that smells like sunshine!


Of course, no rose is without thorns. There are some down sides. I haven't figured out how to eliminate the little press-marks and slight distortions from the clothespins. And the clothes are a little more wrinkley. It also takes more time to hang a load than to throw it in the dryer, although I usually find it a soothing activity (escape?). And of course, it takes more time to dry, unless you've got a nice, hot summer day.


All this does make me think...where am I going to put my line up at the house?

4 comments:

  1. Jeans dried on the line are rock solid and will stand on their own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know many people who still line dry their clothes, but the ones I do know (my mother, you and a friend from VA) are among my favorite people. I hope to start line-drying in my next house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you'll line dry. You'll have a dryer, but the engineer in you two relishes the idea of the conservation of energy. Any self respecting engineer who can line dry will do so on occasion. Hang away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy, I air dry all my clothes air round. On a clothes drying rack in the winter and on rainy days and on a line in the summer. The tricks to keeping your jeans from standing on their own. 1) make sure they are well rinsed so no soap is left in them. A cup of white vinegar in the rinse cycle will really help with this. 2) Shake them out before hanging them so they start out flexible. 3) if you have a chance while they are drying give them another wiggle and jiggle to keep the fibers loose. 4) shake them vigorously when you take them off the line or rack and they may not be as soft as out of the dryer but they will no longer stand on their own. You will be saving money and most importantly helping the environment.

    ReplyDelete