Friday, February 5, 2010

To stitch or not to stitch

Quite the night last night. No pictures. You'll thank me later.

We were headed out to the trailer last night after a lovely dinner with my parents, Mark and I both carrying a girl on our backs piggy-back style. I recall as I stood up with Mae on my back that she was getting HEAV-VEE. Went out through my folks' back door, turned to close it, and just slowly toppled over backward. That's Mark's account, since he saw the whole thing. I just slowly, completely, lost consciousness. I woke up with Mae screaming in my ear, and Mark yelling in my face. I had no sense of where I was or what had happened. Mark was upset with me, and I didn't understand why. Mae was screaming, and I didn't know why.

Turns out, Mae was pinned under me as I was laying on my back. Mark scooted me out of the way, and tended to her. She had a cut on the back of her head, which we ultimately concluded was not serious enough to get stitches. It was about 1/8" deep, and after the initial copious head wound bleeding, did stop flowing. We decided to try Super Glue to close the wound. Note to all who try this--the idea is to close the SURFACE of the wound, not bond the interior of the wound back together. We messed that up a little. But I'm sure the wound will heal despite our best efforts.

After Mae was stabilized, Mark and my mom examined my head, which as it turned out, was much worse. The laceration was much deeper, and although I did not want to go to the ER, Mark and my mom were pretty insistent that it needed treatment. So off to the ER we went.

The closest medical facility to our home is 45 minutes away, so in addition to the known ER wait, you also have 1 1/2 hours on the road. We launched off on our medical mission at 8:30 p.m. We got back to the house at 2:10 a.m. We were exhausted! And the craziest thing was, we went for nothing! Actually, we gained a lot of peace of mind, but that's so abstract, isn't it? Initially, the ER doc proposed that we staple the wound. As we explored alternatives, especially those that did NOT include a return visit to the ER to remove foreign objects, we ultimately decided that the wound would heal just fine by itself, if I could just leave it alone.

Which meant walking around with a clump of bloody matted hair today.

Which I did. All day. I have personally redefined the "comb-over".

Tomorrow...a shower!

But really, the ER doc was more concerned with the loss of consciousness, especially without any sense of it coming on. She was concerned enough to order a CAT scan. Which in turn concerned me.

The CAT scan revealed nothing wrong. So WHAT could cause this event? As Mark and I started to piece together our impressions of what had gone down, we realized there was a very strong probability that Mae had choked me out. My 5-year-old took me down with a chokehold. The signs all fit. I found through a little research that a tight compression on the carotid and/or jugular can cause a person to pass out within seconds. Mae does play a previously funny game of not really holding on as she rides on my back. I never realized the potential repurcussions.

So parents be advised, those piggy back rides can be pretty hazardous!

But I won't give them up just yet.

1 comment:

  1. OMG!OMG!OMG! So glad Mae wasn't crushed. Oh yah...glad you're ok too. Really....that can happen....bizarre! I have never heard of that! Note to self....Samuel needs to hold my shoulders not my neck! I knew there would be a down side to living in the country...the dr. is too far away and the ground is "wonky" enough to make you fall over. Glad everyone is ok!

    ReplyDelete