Wednesday, February 24, 2010

After 20 years...

Mark and I have been together for 20 years. We started to date in March of 1990, and were engaged by June (we had been friends since '88, so we knew each other fairly well before dating). Here is how our conversations go now:

Conversation:

Me: Are you angry?

Mark: What?

Me: Are you angry that we're not getting everything done?

Mark: Why would I be angry?

Long pause

Me: So you are angry!

Mark: What???!!!

Analysis:

Me: Are you angry?
- I can tell he's angry by his non-verbals, but I want to know what he'll say.

Mark: What?
- He is stalling.

Me: Are you angry that we're not getting everything done?
- I won't be deterred.

Mark: Why would I be angry?
- Damn! This is a technique he learned from ME! Answer a question with a question and evade further discussion. Because it would be ridiculous to be angry, wouldn't it?

Long pause
- Another trick from my tool bag...maybe this conversation will just go away.

Me: So you are angry!
- Oh yeah...I see through your bluff!

Mark: What???!!!
- He can't believe I'm so perceptive.

If YOU would like some advice on how to communicate as a couple, we'll hire out for a small fee!

2 comments:

  1. He also has that sly smile and acting all innocent....he's done that since he was a kid...I was younger but I still saw it! HA! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The girls are getting so big! Enjoyed the yoga story. Is there a yoga room now planned...

    ReplyDelete