Thursday, January 28, 2010

Country girls

While we were out on our walk last weekend, I saw evidence that the girls have truly acclimated to the country life. Things beyond the puddle jumping. I saved these little tidbits for a separate post.

Abigail spotted this stump, which we had sheared of its dead limbs a few weeks ago. It has now been repurposed:


On previous walks, we've observed bones from a long-dead cow. The girls have decided to collect the bones in a pile, with a goal of reassembling them into a skeleton. The bones are kicked along...


to the collection point. Quite a project! Gotta envy that 5-year-old ambition!


And lastly, I spotted Abigail crouched down, studying something intently.


I followed her gaze, to find this:


A moderately fresh pile of cow poop, covered with yellow flies. I never see these flies on anything other than poop (thank goodness!).

After a time, Abigail asked me if the pile was getting smaller. Very perceptive, I thought.

Yes, Abigail. This is one of the few instances in life, where the bullshit actually decreases over time, but not by much!

3 comments:

  1. NOW IF SHE WERE REALLY A COUNTRY GIRL, SHE WOULDN'T BUILD SOMETHING OUT OF THAT POOP PILE....COME ON MARK...YOU'RE THE CONSTRUCTION DUDE....HELP YOUR GIRLS USE THEIR IMAGINATIONS...YOU COULD BUILD A GARAGE OUT OF IT OR SOMETHING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh...gotta love a smart country girl. The house looks fantastic, the puddles look like fun, and I would love to be there to watch them reassemble the cow. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sister-in-law Tracey sent me by to visit-- how much fun! I love the newly-repurposed "tree chair"; wish I'd had one of those in my yard growing up.

    I've never even heard of yellow flies-- and I am DARN glad of that!

    Nice to "meet" you!

    ~Elizabeth
    Confessions From A Working Mom

    ReplyDelete