Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My little angels

Last Wednesday was the "Winter Program" for the elementary school--the girls' first time up on the big stage! The school is K-3, with two classes of each, so a total of eight songs were performed. Now, this was not only the girls' first experience with this sort of event, but also ours as parents. We were AMAZED at the turnout! I'd guess there were 400 people in the audience--along with the 170 students, that comes to about 20% of the population of the town! And they all must have arrived at LEAST half an hour early, because by the time we got there (at the requested time of 6:45), there were just a few seats left in the back of the auditorium. We stood along the side, which ended up being the best seat in the house, with a clear view over everyone's head.

The kindergartners go last in the program, since they are generally the piece de resistance. Our class was singing "Hark the Herald Angels Sing". I must say, I was a little surprised and pleased to find that you can still sing those traditional carols in a public school. My thought is that no matter what your religious persuasion, those songs are a part of the historical culture, and should be treasured as such. The kids did a fantastic job, complete with sign language. I must say, I teared up. Hopefully my sniffles aren't too loud on the video tape! Here are the girls after the performance, still wearing their sparkling halos.

The event closed in what is apparently their tradition...the whole room singing "Silent Night" together (another breach of p.c. etiquette). It was really quite beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. I CAN'T WAIT FOR SAM TO DO THIS! WHAT A GREAT TIME! I STILL REMEMBER ALL THE CONCERTS I WAS IN! GREAT JOB GIRLS! YOUR BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete