Saturday, November 21, 2009

The splendors of nature

Autumn is one of my four favorite seasons.

It is here in full force in Tollhouse. Here is the Chinese pistachio in my folks' front yard. I think I've gotta get me one of those! Wouldn't it look striking with the white farmhouse?

The girls are trying to get to those gorgeous colors.


Every time I'm out and about in this beautiful area, I appreciate the views. We are in the Sierra foothills. The foothills are not quite mountains by Sierra or Rocky Mountain standards, but right on the ragged edge. There are lots of slabby granite faces like this one.




This is Tollhouse Rock, and yes, it has some climbing routes on it. And yes, we have been climbing on it, but not recently. Maybe ten years ago, we climbed the "Tollhouse Traverse", a diagonal crack running from the bottom center of the face to the upper left section of the top. It was well set up for a three-person team, one skilled leader (Mark), one spasmoid in the middle (me), and one skilled follower (our buddy Brent Borchers). It really was great fun, and I actually hope to do it again.

Just to the left of Tollhouse Rock is a formation locally known as "Squaw's Tit". No one knows why.


OK, yeah, I guess I can see it. But look at it...so perky and round. That doesn't occur in nature. It's gotta be fake!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful name! God's laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandparents lived in Tollhouse for many years. I spent a lot of my childhood there. From their mobile, I could see Tollhouse Rock and Squaw's Tit. My family was up in Tollhouse on Friday to bury my grandparents. My grandpa died in 2011 and my grandma died in 2013.

    ReplyDelete