Sunday, September 13, 2009

What's an inch or two?

I mentioned in my last post that we would be ordering siding and windows, and start installing them in two weeks or so. The windows DID get ordered, after finding that a new fire regulation requires that ALL 26 windows have tempered glass. Fortunately, the vendor was able to work with the Milgard rep, who cut his cost, and made what was going to be an almost two thousand dollar hit into less than five hundred. Not great, but not quite so painful. The siding, on the other hand, remains unordered. Let me show you why:

I found this cool on-line modeling program at www.certainteed.com that allows me to play with different sidings, colors, etc. I've generated a whitish country-ish house. NOW the challenge is to decide on how wide I want the lap siding to be. Here we have 9", 8", 7", 6", and 5" siding.







I think I've decided on a favorite. What do you think?

I HAVE made up my mind on doing the shingle look on the gable portion of the wall (the upper triangle). Also on the dormer in the front. So that's one decision down, 999,999,999 to go!

7 comments:

  1. I like the 9" the best, and there would be a lot less pieces to nail in, so it will go faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I voted for the 7" before I saw the other voters... seriously. The 8" is a close second.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Btw, is the siding Hardiplank(sp) or some other composite blend? As an old wood planker owner...I sure hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we're going with Hardie plank and also their shingle product. Can't beat that baked-on finish--NO PAINTING (at least for the first 15 years).

    ReplyDelete