Thursday, September 24, 2009

Inspirations Part 1

Many people have asked "Where does Connie get her inspiration and ideas?" They haven't asked it directly, or even out loud, but I can tell they have that question by the questioning look they have in their eyes.

Today, I will share ONE of my sources of inspiration...one that Mark actually found. It is a woman from Kansas who built a white farmhouse and blogged about it. She called her site "The Country Doctor's Wife" (she has since changed it to her own web site) . We were looking for examples of "farmhouse trim", and when Mark googled it, he came up with this blog. It turns out this woman shares a lot of the same ideas about houses, light, and color, but she has been thinking about it for a longer period, is better researched, and is also an excellent writer. Here is her house:





I just love the timeless look of this home.


Here's the original farmhouse trim that brought us to the site:



Here's a cool detail that I showed Mark, and he said "That makes it easier to do a corner". I said "Can WE do that?" and he said "Are you kidding...sure!" And so another detail was born.



Now, just so you don't think I'm simply slavishly copying someone else's house, I have to point out that we are not doing stained oak trim. Yes, it is very farmhouse-y, but I just got too burnt out on oak, so can't do it. Plus painted is cheaper, and we have to conserve where we can. Speaking of which...

No more shingled siding. Turns out that stuff is WICKED expensive...like $5/sq. ft! So back to regular lap siding all around. It hurt me to give that up, but looking at the cost, we couldn't justify it. I think it will look just fine. See?



Sorry...I did get a little carried away with the colors there. No fuscia door. Mark said so.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! That's my house! How cool! I love the one that you all are building. Looks just like my kind of house! I am going to have to follow your blog and see how it all comes together. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete