Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Gardening, nightcrawlers and soft little kittens

Some of you may recall mention of my composting efforts. Here's where those efforts stand today...my garden. The overturned dog kennel is my composter. And of course the rototiller is right where I last used it, months ago.



Now, in all honesty, I would have to say it is the most pathetic garden I've ever seen, but it is my FIRST vegetable garden, so in my eyes it is beautiful. It is full of happy plants. Of course, they are mostly weeds, but there are a few zuchinni plants too. And tomatoes. And two stalks of corn. My mom informed me that these will not produce...they need more plants to cross-pollenate. But I persist in my experiment.



What to do with leftovers from your latest fishing trip? The girls and I had fun "releasing" these nightcrawlers back into the wild in the garden. Big, fat, slimy ones...ew!

Inspired by the moment, Mae begins to become one with the garden. Literally.



Yikes. What happened to sugar and spice and everything nice?



Oh yeah...HERE it is! Over with the soft, fluffy kittens:



The kittens are now about 2 months old, and are subjected to daily petting, carrying, stacking, patty-cake, and other overwhelming forms of affection. The girls consider this their duty, and it does socialize what are otherwise "barn cats". Abigail in particular was interested in my recording every kitten, and she'd very seriously present each one's back to the camera. Mae is in the background, checking someone's teeth, I think.



Oh, aren't kittens fun?

3 comments:

  1. ADORABLE! Watch out kittens....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Connie!! That"garden" leaves much to be desired! Critical but loving critical. Dick

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, the kitten in the last pic on the left is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete