Monday, June 29, 2009

The second story

I wonder why they call floors stories? It never struck me as odd until I was writing it just now, but now I have to google it. If I find out, I'll let you know...OK, here it is:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_are_the_floors_in_a_building_called_stories

The best answer I've been able to find is an anecdotal one that the word comes from the Latin, "historia," meaning history. Roman buildings had decorations of carvings or murals on the exterior walls on each floor level they called historia, depicting myths or historical battles. Multilevel buildings were marked by levels of historia. The word was shortened to stories and, today, a building is so many stories tall. Or, this explanation is just someone's tall story. The rest is history, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.


Now that we've got THAT out of the way, let's look at what made me think about it in the first place...our second story! Here is how the house looked just before the weekend. The framing of the second story external walls is now complete.



AND...you can now access the second story with this nifty set of STAIRS (with temporary treads).



Can't resist...THE MAN and his stairs:



And lastly...Mark reflecting on life as he gazes wistfully out the window of the loft:




OK...not really. That's REALLY Mark doing what I tell him to do while I take his picture. But you knew that.

2 comments:

  1. Looks GREAT!!! Making real progress.Bet Mark hates to be sidetracked by stuff like cookouts etc. Now lets see if I can send this. Love Dick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so enjoying seeing the progress of this project. It's nice to see Mark back to work after his long 5 years vacation!

    ReplyDelete