Thursday, January 29, 2009

Road Trip - CA Desert

We've had some real ups and downs these last few days. We spent two nights in Joshua Tree National Park, at Indian Cove campgrounds. This was our first experience "dry camping", meaning no power, water, or sewer hookups. Basically just parking in a campsite and living off what you have brought in. Overall, it went very well. The biggest issue was the temperatures, which we were not expecting to be quite so FRIGID (low to mid 20's at night). Because the furnace fan takes a lot of power, we were very conservative with the temp of the trailer--down to 50 degrees at night! Needless to say, we piled together to stay warm...those kids really come in handy! So we had some worries about lines freezing, etc. that put a damper on things, but overall, I can't wait to do it again!

But the real bummer was that I left my purse at a local restaurant, and it was subsequently stolen. So now I'm on the road with no ID, credit card frozen, cell phone gone. I'm stressed, but Mark is super stressed about this. It's hard enough when this happens when you have a residence and a job...we'll see what happens when you're transient and jobless--yikes! Hey, at least I have a voting record in CA! The girls are asking very interesting questions about this whole thing "WHO stole your purse?" "Why did they take it?" "Will they give it back?". Try answering those for a 4 year old!

So we're in the Antelope Valley through Saturday, then down to the LA area next. Wish us luck!

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry Connie! Dry camping....sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Checking to see if I can hook up. Dick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess I did. Sorry to hear of your snafu. Anything we can do? Dick

    ReplyDelete